Tuesday 26 November 2013

iTunes single of the week review #2 & #3

Hi,

Sorry that I couldn't do the review last week, I just didn't have time! So I though today I would do a review of last weeks and this week's single! Last week it was Tonight by Wilkinson and today it was Riptide by Vance Joy.

Wilkinson (also known as Mark Wilkinson) is a drum & bass and dubstep producer from London. He remixes songs and produces records. He only has singles out.

Review:
This song is electro-pop, and let me warn you now I have never liked anything electro-pop! Every now and again a woman's voice is put on with effects like echo, fading and wobbly (technical term for you there!) which does add something. The spacey far out beats that sound like they are being heard far away which I relatively quite liked but this didn't last for long. The whole song is very samey and boring. It just sounds like computer game sound effects. At one point it breaks down into more R&B, faster beats, sometimes with some actual pitch changes!

Overall I really don't like this track, way way way too electronic and samey. Ill give it 2/10 for the spacey bit!

Vance Joy is an Australian singer/songwriter from Melbourne. He has one EP out called "God loves you when you're dancing" (I just love that title!!)

Review:
This song is an upbeat beachy sounding track. The first chords sound like you're sitting in a beach shack (in a good way). But his crackly, closed jaw, sometimes breathy vocals sound gorgeous and unexpected against everything else. I love that everything stops for a beat before the chorus. At the end the music stops and he is one beat behind singing "wrong", this is a gorgeous effect that makes you think. I love the chorus with only guitar chords and the tambourine, this whole track is so catchy and makes you tap your head and feet!

Overall, if you haven't already guessed I love this song!! I'll give it 9/10.

Sorry this is a bit late but hope you enjoyed!!



No comments:

Post a Comment