Tuesday 12 November 2013

iTunes single of the week review #1

Hi,

Every Tuesday iTunes brings out a single of the week which you can download for free from iTunes. So, every Tuesday I'll have a listen and review it. This week it's "roots" by Orla Gartland.

Orla Gartland is an 18 year old singer, guitarist and ukulele player. She plays acoustic, folk, indie pop and indie folk. She only has one EP out called "Roots".



Review:
This song is indie pop with futuristic sounding electronic beats and acoustic guitar chords which work really well together. She has a really youthful sounding voice which is similar to birdy and Taylor Swift. Her lyrics are good and the music suits her voice well. The song starts off with only guitar and beats which sounds good and clean, but then as the song gets going the texture builds with backing singers and piano and more percussion which feels good. But I liked it best with the thin texture.

Overall I like this track but I don't love it. I think her voice is just a little too youthful and her songs a little too poppy for my tastes so I would give it 7/10.

Do you think this is a good feature? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment