Saturday 23 November 2013

Top 3 songs of the week #3

Hi,

Right so.....

This week I've been loving...
Holes by passenger
White blank page by Mumford and sons.
Kiss the grass by The paper kites

Holes is a powerful lighter indie-rock song that really sticks in the head (which was great in my English lit exam...). This grabs onto some of my more poppy tastes but passenger is just amazing. I love the lyric "mortgage to pay and four kids to raise, keeping the wolf from the door, well the wolf's just a puppy and the door's double locked so why you gotta worry me for?". I love that the music stops for the well the last part of that line. There are some really meaningful bits I this song. I love that its mostly just an acoustic guitar and piano chords, but then when more singers join in for the last chorus then a trumpet is added which just works so well. This feels like everything's being brought together. God I love this track!

White blank page in one of my favourite Mumford songs. I love Marcus's distressed and deep growly voice which goes great with the piano chords that add another level of tension of menace to the track. The song is relatively gentle in the first verse, then in the chorus they really get going and start getting angry and loud and powerful, everything is accented. Staccato waltz beats played by the drums and banjo give more anger to this part. The violins in the instrumental between verses have a folky and traditional sound, these guys are genius!!

Kiss the grass is a slowly moving simple track that makes you feel tired and relaxed at first word. The music behind the vocals is simple, just guitar changing chords every 4 beats and an electric guitar following the vocals after a while with an added female voice harmonising to the initial sole male voice. Texture is added and taken out throughout the whole thing. But there are constantly the 4 beat guitar chords giving stability to the piece. I love the softness and tranquillity of the paper kites, great to fall asleep to!


2 comments: