Wednesday 6 November 2013

Review of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic zeroes

Hi

So, my first ever blog post! It will be a review of Edward Sharpe & the magnetic zeros' self titled album. You can buy the album from iTunes for £7.99 HERE




Background info:
ES&TMZ are mainly an indie folk band although they have gospel chorus harmonies and raw exuberant pop similar to the beatles. They formed in 2007 and since then they have had 3 albums: "Up from below" brought out in 2009, "Here" which came out in 2012 and debuted at number one in the independent music charts. And finally their self titled album which was brought out in July 2013. They use a huge range of instruments including trumpets, accordians and a tenor uklele in their music as the band has 12 members (although only 2 women!). These guys were highly promoted by Mumford and sons (who I love!!) so I thought I'd have a listen.

Review:
Their most popular song "Better days" was slightly jazzy and bluesy with gospel feeling parts. I thought it was a bit too bibley (yes, that is now a word!) and I didn't like the voice of the singer. I found a lot of the songs like "let's get high" breezey and easy listening. The song "in the lion" was definitely my favourite, it reminded me a lot of HAIM, followed by "when you're young" which sounded like mystery jets. The trumpets were a really great edition to this song even though I normally really don't like brass. The songs "life is hard" and "two" were my least favourite because they sounded as if they had come straight from a musical. There are so many different types of music in this album that I'm not sure I'd spend £8 on it (being the broke teenager that I am), there were some songs that I loved and some that I really didn't like. There was even a country/folk sounding one, which I really didn't expect.

Overall I'd give this album 5/10.

So that's it, hope you enjoyed it! Let me know what you think of ES&TMZ in the comments!

2 comments: